Wed, Feb 01|
COURSE NOW OPEN: get comfortable with drawing faces + 2.5h long live session
Course starts 1 February 2023 Live session on 15 Feb 2023 from 6pm 10% discount for creative members (of full price only) we will explore different mediums in the course and in the live session we will use colour pencils.
Time & Location
Feb 01, 2023, 10:00 AM GMT – Feb 28, 2023, 9:29 PM GMT
About the Event
Hi my lovely creative makers,
In this course you will learn how to draw portraits.
Drawing portraits can be daunting and a little intimidating. We will use the entire month to practice with lots of different references and techniques and at the end you will be much more comfortable drawing a face.
In this course we will go through the basics of how to draw a portrait. we will start with looking at faces in general, practice different face shapes and look at proportions. Then we will look at shading and shaping and finally we will look at adding colour and how to create different skin tones.
A lot of different style drawings will come by, some more realistic and some illustrated or cartoon like.
This course is for you if:
- If you have always had a longing to draw people
- If you want to make drawing people part of your art practice
- if you want to build a drawing habit and create on a regular basis.
- if you don't know where to start and you would like to draw as part of a creative community
- if you are looking to make February a creative, fun and artful month.
- If you want to draw people but don't know where to start.
What to expect:
We will meet each other in an extra long live drawing session on the 15th February from 6-8.30PM GMT where we draw a portrait together step by step in colour pencils and you will receive a daily drawing nudge in the form of a message, a video or a drawing prompt.
each of the prompts will be suitable for different art materials.
What materials do you need for the course?
During the course I will explore different mediums. I will sketch with pencil, ink and colour pencil and alcohol markers. There will be one portrait where I use charcoal and pencils. Although this is not a painting class I might use some watercolours in places to add colour to my sketches. I will also sketch digital in places (as it is much clearer for you to see my sketching process that way) and on those occasions I am using my Ipad and the app procreate.
You can join the course using any medium of your choice.
If you are drawing with me using traditional mediums I would recommend these materials as basics:
- a sketchbook or loose paper with at least 30 empty sheets.
- HB sketch pencil, sharpener and eraser
- a ballpoint pen
- a set of colour pencils
Although this is not a digital drawing course per se, you are welcome to join using a digital drawing platform such as procreate, adobe photoshop or affinity. I would not recommend using a vector based program (such as adobe illustrator) as we want to be able to create sketch lines. I might be able to answer some questions about digital drawing programmes but I will not cover the use of these in the course at all.
In the live session I will be using my Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils. You can join in using any colour pencil brand.
You will learn:
- How to sketch a face
- How to analyse the proportions of each individual face
- You will start develloping your own style
- You will learn how to draw a portrait by using different materials
- we will draw together in one long live session where we will be drawing a portrait in colour pencils.
- letting go of perfectionism and enjoying the process instead.
- we will draw from references and we will draw from our imagination
- You will master new drawing techniques.
This course is suitable for all level artists and you can expect to improve your sketching and drawing skills by practicing regularly.
The course will be for sale after February without the live session.
2 hours 30 minutes
live sessionOnline over zoom
course full price
You will be added to the course at the start date- 1 February£160.00
pre sale round 2
you will be added to the course on the 1st February when the course goes live£79.00
This ticket is discounted as a pre-sale special offerPay what you wantSale ended